Welcome to the first bimonthly Canal Shores Construction Update! For those of you I haven’t met yet, my name Chris Charnas and I am Vice President of Golf and Board Trustee at Canal Shores. I am helping oversee the renovation of the golf course this summer along with our Golf Course Architect, Todd Quitno, and Construction Partner, Wadsworth Golf Construction Company. We are extremely fortunate to have the expertise of these partners as we embark on the renovation of our 104 year old course, the “Gem in Your Backyard”.
The goal of this bimonthly newsletter is to update you on the progress of the renovation. Our project began in late 2020 when we developed a 2nd Century Master Plan to revitalize Canal Shores while maintaining its quirky charm and neighborhood feel. On July 12, 2023 we received permits from the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (MWRD) and the Village of Wilmette to start construction. Wadsworth quickly began work and had equipment onsite July 14. Construction has started at the north end of the course near the Bahai Temple and will move north to south. We will close holes as we move south, and although currently only 11 holes are open, the course is busy and it’s gratifying to see our golfers supporting Canal Shores!
Here’s what we have already accomplished:
- Cleared trees and underbrush along the banks of the canal facing the Bahai Temple
- Rototilled all the grass on old holes 6 and 7
- Started with earthmoving by removing the berm between old holes 6 and 7
- Begun installation of a large drainage structure adjacent to the canal near water level, which will diffuse the energy of the water being drained off the course
- Begun to lay in drainage inlets and pipes over what will be the new holes 5, 6 and 7
- Moved south and started rototilling new holes 3, 8, 9 and 10
- Started clearing trees and underbrush along the banks of new holes 3 ,8, 9 and 1
When the course reopens in Summer 2024, we believe the three new holes on the north end (5, 6 and 7) will be among the most photographed golf holes in the area. With three really cool greens including a one of a kind 75 yard putting hole and unmatched views of the Bahai Temple and even Lake Michigan, the north triangle is going to be a must play for golfers from all over Chicago and beyond! Here’s a rendering of what it will look like.
Please let me know if you have any questions on the project or would like a tour. If you prefer to be unsubscribed from this newsletter, please let me know.
Finally, a huge thank you to all that have donated to the Canal Shores 2nd Century project. If you have not yet donated and are interested, you can email me to set up a meeting or you can access our donation site here.